1. Lock the compromised account. Dispute any fraudulent charges on your compromised accounts and ask to have them locked, or even shut down.
2. Place a fraud alert on your credit reports. This helps alert creditors that someone may be trying to open accounts in your name.
3. Consider a credit freeze. This will make it impossible for the scammer to open a credit line or loan in your name.
4. Alert the FTC. Visit identitytheft.gov and follow the site’s instructions.
5. Strengthen your passwords. In addition to changing them, use strong and different passwords for all your online accounts.
6. Check your account statements. It’s best to do so frequently to look for suspicious activity.
7. Open new credit cards and accounts. Replace compromised accounts that you’ve shut down so you can be inconvenienced as little as possible.
8. Repair your credit. Be extra careful about paying your bills on time and keeping your credit utilization low.
If you've found that your identity has been stolen, we're here to help in any way we can. Please contact us at 801-627-8700 or visit your local Wasatch Peaks branch so we can assist you with your Wasatch Peaks accounts and cards.